Providence, Rhode Island
The Hoppin House stands today as one of the great mansions on Benefit Street, and is recognized as an important part of the largest historic residential district in the United States.
Built in 1853, the three-story structure holds the honor of being considered by many preservationists to be the most architecturally distinctive house in Providence.
Designed in the Italianate style, the building had tremendous appeal to the local architectural firm Cull and Robinson Architects, which first occupied the space in 1951. This firm was the forerunner to RGB.
In 1982, RGB undertook a museum-quality restoration of the entire mansion and its adjoining two-story carriage house. Period details were reclaimed by using historically correct methods and materials.
As both architect and construction manager, RGB completed the project over a two-year period and continued to occupy the building until moving to larger offices at The Foundry complex in 1988.